Friday, June 8, 2007

What is your learning style?
My learning style is definetly mainly kinestetic (just like my kiddos). I need to do something several times just like Carol had me do to teach me how to post these messages. Thanks a million!!!

Have you ever taken a learning style inventory?No, but I intend to right after I log-off this site.

In your classrooms as teachers how have you or do you address the issue of learning styles? When we implement a lesson it usually has components that address the different styles. If it is a concept that we teach for a week or more we want include a song, an actual hands-on activities, a an assessment that will DEMONSTRATE if they learned the material. If the concept is not yet attained by the majority of the class I will reinforce or re-teach with more games, explicitly stating what they are expected to learn from it. For example, we use STC and FOSS for Science which are awsome programs. I wish I had had these experiences when I was their age. They are always anxious to "play" the Science games and even if some might think they are to young I try to include the Scientific Method Format in most units. *I am explicit to point out cognates and let them know that many of the concepts and vocabulary they learn in Spanish will transfer to English.

Finally discuss your experience with learners' beliefs about language, of either your students or their parents. How has it affected your teaching?
I have very good experiences. Several times when a child has just arrived, I see them tunning-out in the ESL portion of the class. The first thing I do is acknowledge that at the very beggining the will understand very little of the words, therefore they need to pay attention to my facial expressions, body language and whatever is happenning around them. Since I do allow them to answer in Spanish they can usually participate in any activity. I stand next them, during the Read-alouds I sit them close to me and look at them, address them or even slightly touch them to recapture their attention.

No comments: